Last weekend was the start of the big push to get the stage ready for Anna In The Tropics. Here’s what the stage looked like on Saturday afternoon when I arrived:
The pillars were in place, and the platforms down. Set designer Steve Cooper worked on it most of the weekend, with the help of a few of us who were in the vicinity. By Sunday evening, it was looking like this:
I’d say it’s getting there.
Meanwhile, I was doing some maintenance work on theatre equipment. That all sounds really technical, I suppose, but what it really means is that I spent most of the weekend using this high tech gear:
to clean these:
and a whole bunch or other lights that were either up on the light grid or sitting around waiting to be used.
We try to clean off the lights at least once a year, because dust and grime make the lights darker, and they also make them burn out more quickly. Dust in particular is a good heat insulator, and so we try to avoid letting too much build up. With all the active volcanos in this area, dust and grime accumulate quickly. Leave a light up on the bar for a few years, and you’d think we’d tried to bury it up there. Wiping the lenses and blowing dust off the reflectors makes the lighting designer’s job easier, because the lights don’t look the same at the same dimmer settings if some are clean and some aren’t.
This is something that we normally do during the summer. But since this year we’re doing an extra show, there wasn’t time. So we did it as part of the preperation for Anna, as we could.
This weekend, we have to complete both the set and the light design. Looks like another busy weekend.